FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Allison Youngs, Chair
Chippewa County Democratic Party
US SENATOR DEBBIE STABENOW RALLIES CHIPPEWA COUNTY DEMOCRATS | CHIPPEWA COUNTY DEMOCRATS MAKE FORMAL ENDORSEMENTS
Sault Sainte Marie, MI - This has been a busy week for the Chippewa County Democratic Party. US Senator Debbie Stabenow and candidate for Michigan’s 1st US Congressional District Matt Morgan rallied with area Democrats to urge constituents to get out the vote.
At the party’s regular monthly meeting on Thursday, the full Democratic slate and three ballot proposals were endorsed:
In federal races:
- Debbie Stabenow for US Senate from Michigan
- Matt Morgan to represent Michigan’s 1st US Congressional District
In Michigan races:
- Gretchen Whitmer for Michigan Governor
- Garlin Gilcrist for Lieutenant Governor
- Jocelyn Benson for Secretary of State
- Dana Nessel for Michigan Attorney General
- Jim Page to represent 37th Michigan Senate District
- Joanne Galloway to represent 107th Michigan House District
In board races:
- Judy Pritchett and Tiffany Tilley for Michigan Board of Education
- Paul Brown and Jordan Acker for University of Michigan Board of Regents
- Brianna Scott and Kelly Tebay for Michigan State University Board of Trustees
- Bryan Barnhill and Anil Kumar for Wayne State Board of Governors
In county races:
- Jim Martin for Chippewa County’s Second District
- Don McLean for Chippewa County’s Third District
- Ted Postula for Chippewa County’s Fourth District
On the non-partisan ballot, the party endorsed two Michigan Supreme Court Nominees and three ballot proposals:
- Sam Bagenstos and Megan Kathleen Cavanaugh for Michigan Supreme Court
- Proposal 1 – Marijuana Legalization Initiative: decriminalizes and regulates marijuana for recreational use
- Proposal 2 – Voters not Politicians: creates a bi-partisan separate committee of citizens to draw Michigan’s district lines; and takes the duty out of the hands of elected officials
- Proposal 3 – Voting Rights Policy Initiative: Protects voters’ rights to register to vote and vote via absentee ballot
“It is more important than ever that the Democratic Party comes together with a united front for the 2018 election to restore proper checks and balances on the government on not only the federal level, but on the state and local levels as well,” said Allison Youngs, Chair of the Chippewa County Democratic Party.
On Saturday, US Senator Debbie Stabenow, co-chair of the US Senate bi-partisan Great Lakes Task Force, visited the Chippewa County Democrats on the campaign trail. The senator discussed the importance of protecting healthcare for constituents in Chippewa County. She also discussed her progress on the US Senate floor for the much-needed additional Soo Lock.
The senator briefed constituents on a bill she introduced that prohibits gag clauses on pharmacists. Stabenow said insurance co-pays are sometimes more than the out-of-pocket price of a prescription drug. But the companies that manage drug benefits often put a gag clause in their contracts with pharmacies. So pharmacists can’t tell their customers there’s a cheaper way to get the drug. Her bill, if signed by the president, would ban such clauses in Medicare part D contracts.
Senator Stabenow talked with constituents what both the senate and citizens can do to help slow the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the US Supreme Court. Other candidates in attendance included Matt Morgan for US House of Representatives, who has advocated for decommissioning the Line 5 oil pipeline under the Straits of Mackinac; Jim Page for Michigan Senate, who has advocate for public education; and Joanne Galloway for Michigan House of Representatives, who is an advocate for expanded access to rural broadband across the district.
The Chippewa County Democratic Party campaign season is well underway with their office at 224 Ashmun Street in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
For those interested in volunteering time to knock on doors or make phone calls, please contact Allison Youngs at email@example.com or 906-440-6124.
Monetary donations can be made at https://secure.actblue.com/donate/chippewa-county-democratic-party-1
For more information and full details on upcoming events and current candidates, like at http://www.facebook.com/CCDPofMichigan or visit http://www.chippewadems.com/
# # #
US Senator Debbie Stabenow and candidate for Michigan's 1st Congressional District, Matt Morgan, rally
with Chippewa County Democrats on Saturday.
There was a record turnout at the Chippewa County Democrats Office on 224 Ashmun Street in the Sault to meet US Senator Debbie
Stabenow, US House 1st District candidate Matt Morgan, Michigan House candidate Joanne Galloway, and Michigan Senate
candidate Jim Page.